While most of the events your club hosts likely fall under our Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance coverage, some events may require some additional due diligence in order be sanctioned.

External Venues Requiring COI

Most events or activities using external venues, such as fundraisers at conference centers or restaurants, or participating in physical training at a gymnastics club, will have the venue operator request a Certificate of Insurance (COI) which can take up to two weeks to obtain and cost $30. The form is easy to fill out and is available in our Registration / Insurance & Sanction files at https://bcalpine.com/files/Event_Files/Insurance_and_Sanction_Forms/

Travel Outside of Canada

If traveling outside of Canada, groups or individuals must complete the Out of Country Training Sanction prior to departure to gain sanctioning for their trip. This form, like the request for COI also takes about two weeks to obtain

Is the activity approved?

Even if your event is in-country and doesn’t take place in a venue that requests a COI, other considerations still need to be addressed. BC clubs are reminded that prior to partaking in events that are not covered by the Alpine Canada / Canadian Snowsports Association pre-approved dryland training activities, they must first obtain verification from Ashlie at Alpine Canada via email to verify that the activity will be allowable under our CGL coverage. In the email request to Ashlie, please be sure to include specific details about the activity, when and where it will take place and who is conducting it.

At the time of writing this, the official list of CSA published acceptable dryland activities includes: 

  • Running
  • Hiking
  • Snowshoeing
  • Swimming
  • Paddle Boarding
  • Canoeing / Kayaking (excluding white-water)
  • Nordic walking and Nordic walking activities
  • Roller-skiing: (helmets mandatory; wrists guards, pads recommended)
    • only as a training activity that includes coach-organized and directed individual time trials
  • Rollerblading
  • Road cycling
    • only as a training activity as prescribed by a coach or sports science regardless of the type of bike used in that activity
  • Mountain biking (off the road “mountain biking” training activities)
    • third party coverage ONLY which means that there is insurance coverage if the athlete runs into and is sued by a hiker on the trail
    • NO second party coverage (there is no coverage when the athlete gets injured and sues the coach or another athlete for negligence in suggesting that the athlete train on that trail
  • Recreational cycling (road bikes) is covered when done only as a supervised training activity in group.
  • Organized games (i.e.. soccer, hill/track intervals, weight and resistance training properly supervised)
  • Off-season glacier skiing as part of controlled training
  • Back Country Skiing and Overnight Camping (requires specific CSA approval with designated leader with suitable qualifications)

Excluded activities:

  • Recreational biking (mountain biking) of athletes/members (bike parks, etc. as individuals)
  • Competitive biking (any type of bike) for events or time trials
  • Mountain climbing / Rock climbing (considered a high risk activity)
  • Waterskiing / Wakeboarding / Parasailing / White-water Canoeing/Kayaking
  • Paintball
  • Rock Climbing

If you have any questions about this or would like assistance, please contact Keven Dubinsky at kevend@bcalpine.com or 604-678-3074.