BC Alpine announced eight returning ski racers – and two new additions – to the BC Training Group, a major stepping stone towards BC Ski Team selection.
Four skiers met full qualification standards, while the others will be working over the preparation phase to be named to the BC Ski Team for the 2023-24 season (announcement in November). See the complete training roster below.
The Training Group, which represents five ski clubs across the province – Fernie Alpine Ski Team, Whistler Mountain Ski Club, Grouse-Tyee Ski Club, Big White Racers and the Vernon Ski Club – are now focussed on fitness and pre-season training.
“This time of year is all about building trust and connection between coach and athletes,” said BC Alpine VP Johnny Crichton. “Find the limits and work together to extend them. It’s all about communication and support through physical challenges to prep the team for the long, arduous season. We have a great crew of coaches and athletes who are fully dedicated to becoming champions!”
Women’s group building culture
The women’s training group is kicking off the offseason with a training camp in Fernie through July. “This is where the team comes together to push out of their comfort zone, solidify themselves as a team and build a strong culture as well as explore a new community in BC,” said women’s head coach Montana Molyneux.
Coach Monty is excited to build on the progress from last season. “The returning athletes from the training group have created an environment that fosters respect, focus, hard work and fun which will be exciting for our newest training group athlete Jasmine. Together this group can continue to challenge each other to grow as athletes and teammates.”
“They will be ready to push out of the start gate whether that be Nor-Ams or BC cups and have full confidence that they’ve done everything to find success!”
The women’s group have a significant fitness focus from June to August with the first on snow camp scheduled for September in Chile, followed by indoor training session in October in Germany and then pre-season prep in North America in November.
Men’s group building on foundation
The men’s team is centralized in Fernie for July, where they are “dedicating this time together to push as a team and form the base needed to thrive during on snow prep,” said men’s head coach Morgan Pridy. Pridy is full of optimism regarding the development of the team.
“It’s very exciting to have the core group of guys back for the new season,” he said. “They worked hard last year to build up a strong foundation and also discovered the demands of a full Nor-am schedule. The group is hungry and has set high expectations moving forward.”
According to Pridy, the addition of Baptiste Cais to the training group will be a great opportunity for him and also the team to push his teammates.
From August to mid-October the men’s group will be back and forth between South America and home, working through on-snow skills and continuing fitness progressions.
* Two skiers from last season’s provincial group will not be rejoining the BCST this season. Heming Sola, of Summerland and the Apex Ski Club, who dazzled last season with strong performances will continue ski racing and pursuing academics at Dartmouth. Tait Jordan, of North Van and the Whistler Mountain Ski Club is pursuing options for post secondary education while completing his rehab (ACL) and growing his entrepreneurial endeavours.
BC Ski Team (qualified)
- Dylan Timm (2002) Fernie Alpine Ski Team (Fernie)
- Sascha Gilbert (2004) Whistler Mountain Ski Club (Whistler)
- Dylan Stevens (2004) Grouse Mountain Tyee Ski Club (North Vancouver)
- Oliver Young (2004) Vernon Ski Club/Okanagan Ski Team (Coldstream)
BC Women’s Training Group
- Mila Plavsic (2004) Grouse Mountain Tyee Ski Club (Vancouver)
- Alexa Brownlie (2005) Whistler Mountain Ski Club (Whistler)
- Erin Husken (2005) Whistler Mountain Ski Club (North Vancouver)
- Shayna Little (2005) Big White Ski Club/Okanagan Ski Team (Kelowna)
- Jasmine Coubrough (2006) Vernon Ski Club / OST (Salmon Arm)
BC Men’s Training Group
- Baptiste Cais (2005) Fernie Alpine Ski Team (Field)
- Morgan Pridy, Men’s Head Coach
- Montana Molyneux, Women’s Head Coach
- Dustin Koepke, Men’s Coach
Photo credit (top photo): Derek Trussler
For more information:
BC Alpine VP Athletics